This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
VistaHasCrashed's profile picture

Tekkit Classic server monitors - CC help

Started by VistaHasCrashed, 21 August 2015 - 10:33 AM
VistaHasCrashed #1
Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:33 PM
Okay, hello, forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place. I'm new, I only write pretty basic LUA in CC.
Here's the situation: I am running a tekkit classic server, MC 1.2.5, Computercraft 1.3, And I am running some info monitors in my spawn, which have a generic peripheral.wrap and mon.write script set up to display the text I want. they work fine.

The problem is that when the server is restarted, the screens go blank and the program has to be run again by staff. Bearing in mind that it might restart once every 6 hours (small tekkit servers do, as it can get very laggy) It would be loads of hassle for staff to come on to restart the monitors so that new players could read them. Loads of other servers use monitors in the spawn, and they usually have a little button beneath them, so that if a player pushes them, they (presumably) send a redstone signal to the computer telling it to run the program. Thats what I am going for, but how do you make a computer run a program when it recieves a redstone signal?

I have seen posts where people have programs that do something if they get a redstone signal, but the program that handles those signals has to be started manually, which doesn't solve the problem I am having. Thanks for the help! ~Vista
Astrophylite #2
Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:10 PM
Okay. Normally computers load automatically if their chunks have loaded, but that doesn't seem to be the case.. You might have to make a system with wired modems and tell the player to open the computer and look at the monitor, or you could install the ChunkLoader mod by ChickenBones to load the chunks automatically, these should easily solve your problem. If it doesn't, I will try to work on something.
KingofGamesYami #3
Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:56 PM
I remember someone fixing this problem on their server by properly shutting it down (using the "stop" command). You might want to try that, it may fix it. Other than that, this is a non-reproducible bug that happens with all versions of CC… Which means you'll have to manually activate at least 1 computer. That computer can turn on other computers if they are connected via networking cable.
VistaHasCrashed #4
Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:17 PM
Thanks for the responses, I do use the stop command on the server console when I shut it down, and it does it regardless, but Tekkit classic does have the chunk loader mods, so I can arrange chunk loading easily. I'll let you know how it goes. ~Vista
HPWebcamAble #5
Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:29 PM
A computer has to be on to do anything - that includes detecting a redstone signal

Of course, you should be able to make a program on each computer named 'startup'
That program should have something like this:

shell.run( "programName" )
(Alternatively, rename the program on each computer to 'startup')

Do you already have this system in place? If so, it seems you are suffering from the dreaded computers-don't-restart-when-loaded bug