This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
binarycode's profile picture

What exactly is computercraft?

Started by binarycode, 13 October 2015 - 05:42 PM
binarycode #1
Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:42 PM
Hello,

I am new to minecraft modding, so far I have tried basic mods such as minimap, textures and so on.

I have came across this mod through google, I cant find any description about it, what exactly does computercraft do??

I know this question sounds dumb but I feel like this is the right place to ask this

Sorry for my noobness, I have only played with basic Minecraft Mods and resource packs.
Edited on 22 October 2015 - 04:53 PM
KingofGamesYami #2
Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:52 PM
The easiest part to explain would be turtles - blocks you can program to perform a variety of tasks, including moving up/down/forward/backward, turning right/left, breaking blocks, placing blocks, etc.

If you right click on either a turtle or a computer, it opens a GUI with a terminal. From the terminal, you can run, edit, move programs, and more. You can create your own, customized programs.

For some examples of what can be done, I'd take a look at nitrogenfingers youtube videos.

I suppose I should add a link to the wiki's main page too - http://computercraft.info/wiki/Main_Page
Edited on 13 October 2015 - 05:57 PM
Creator #3
Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:23 PM
Computercraft adds a bunch of blocks to Minecraft. The main one is the computer. It allows you to execute code and even interact with the world through peripherals. The programming language that is used is Lua.
Cloud Ninja #4
Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:40 AM
Computercraft adds Lua (programming language) based computers into minecraft, allowing you to automate farms and such. It also puts in turtles (no, not that kind) that move around and you can make them farm, mine, etc. Over all, the base mod itself doesnt add anything other than the computers and basic peripherals, but with some other mods it can turn into a very big automation mod.
H4X0RZ #5
Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:20 PM
Computercraft adds Lua (programming language) based computers into minecraft, allowing you to automate farms and such. It also puts in turtles (no, not that kind) that move around and you can make them farm, mine, etc. Over all, the base mod itself doesnt add anything other than the computers and basic peripherals, but with some other mods it can turn into a very big automation mod.

The only "downside" of "very big automation" is that you have to "teach" the mod how to automate everything :P/> (which actually is an upside for the more advanced users)
Edited on 14 October 2015 - 03:20 PM
binarycode #6
Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:49 PM
Thanks for the helpful replies, I'll surely watch tutorials by nitrogenfingers.

Also, can anyone recommend me LUA programming tutorials (for beginners)?
KingofGamesYami #7
Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:22 AM
Just so you know, nitrogenfingers stuff isn't tutorials. It's just really cool stuff he programmed, showing how far you can take stuff.

I'd recommend these tutorials for getting started with Lua & CC in general.

The Lua 5.1 Reference Manual is a great resource for general Lua.

Refer to the wiki for pretty much any question, I found the APIs wiki page very helpful when I was starting out.
binarycode #8
Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:06 PM
Thanks for the helpful response.

1 quick question, can I automate railcraft using CC?
Creator #9
Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:53 PM
Does railcraft use redstone? If yes then return "yes" else return "no" end
TYKUHN2 #10
Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:02 AM
I think railcraft has blocks with peripheral methods. Yes.

And most of it does use redstone.