This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Mr909's profile picture

A Stupid-Simple Question

Started by Mr909, 10 July 2012 - 05:09 PM
Mr909 #1
Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:09 PM
So, I am just getting started, had some problems getting the lua in but the blocks are there, and in the meantime while I try to figure that out I'm using the systems I understand to develop some hardware in-game for item management. But a lot of what I'm doing hinges on this question, which should be very obvious to anyone who does this already: Are floppy disks programs, files, or both?

Example: I'm trying to develop account systems linked to floppy disks, that interact with a banking program on a computer. Will I have to put my banking program on each floppy, and just have the computer run the program from there, or can I have my banking program interact with data on the floppies? Also, how tough would it be to encrypt data on the floppies so users don't manually hack their accounts?
BigSHinyToys #2
Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:52 PM
floppy are folders they hold files the files can be executed just like normal ones on a computer.the disk that shows up when you use the "dir" command it the folder. use "cd disk" to open the folder.floppy hold an infinite amount of data .

as flopys are just folders it is possible to access any file on them. If you had a file called BankINFO for example you could have your program open it then read its data and act accordingly. I would recommended having a sever store the client data so they cant hack it out of there card / the computer they are using. WiFi and rednet are a method you could use to communicate between sever and client.

It is possible to encrypt data in CC , I haven't seen a fully working example but it is possible.

If you have any other questions feel free to post them here and i will answer if i can.
Mr909 #3
Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:02 PM
Well, the thing is, storing the data server-side makes it harder to carry around (sans rednet). I'm thinking that the banking info might be on a rednet server, though, so rather the only data stored on it would be basic user account information and probably an encrypted "keycode" to confirm that the user is who they say they are. I was also thinking of using it to hold a few other things as well.

What I'm really working on, see, is a hardware system for a Computer Craft gaming console. It'll also have a large, complex item banking system that'll allow you to "buy" things in-game and turn in-game resources into solid items. I'm thinking of incorporating the Operator Panel API to allow a holodeck (similar to the one posted on that thread) where you can actually stage some battles, VR games, and whatnot. Basically, just a giant supercomputer gaming system, the likes of wish we always dreamed we had in real life.

I can't install the lua using Magic Launcher, though, which is the only route I can think of as I don't want to deal with constantly uninstalling and reinstalling individual mods. :