This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Rougeminner's profile picture

Screen Shot? if so then how?

Started by Rougeminner, 10 December 2015 - 01:44 AM
Rougeminner #1
Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:44 AM
so i got board and figured i would try and screw around a bit with CC and i was wondering if there is a way to take a screen capture from the CC computer, NOT from my real computer, i believe there is some code going around somewhere for this but i haven't seen it in a while.
Dragon53535 #2
Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:44 AM
I believe it's entirely possible. You could rewrite the default CC api's to save the state of the screen on every single change. I'm certain it's done before, but I wouldn't know.
Bomb Bloke #3
Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:09 AM
I'm not aware of any scripts for this purpose. It's easier to just hit F2 and let Minecraft's built-in screenshot system do it.

There's Lightshot, which can record videos of scripts (for playback within ComputerCraft). I haven't tried it, however, and it's gone a fair while without an update. Skimming the source, it looks like it'd need modifications for CC 1.6+ compatibility.

Then there's my RecGif, which records videos of scripts as GIF files. There's no practical way to play these back within ComputerCraft (as the resulting files have a display resolution way above what regular ComputerCraft screens have), but handy if you want to post an example of a script on eg these forums without installing special software for full-on screen capture (… use Open Broadcaster for that, by the way).

These scripts both work along the same basic principles: first build a table filled with functions, similar to term, that draw to the screen while storing a record of everything that's drawn. Then just redirect to the resulting terminal object and run the script you want to record data from.