This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Chaz's profile picture

Ender Modems and Inclement Weather

Started by Chaz, 19 January 2016 - 07:03 PM
Chaz #1
Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:03 PM
This is a question that probably doesn't need to be asked, but I didn't see an answer for it on the wiki or the forums and I'm super curious: Does bad weather affect Ender Modems at all?

Through my very limited testing, I've found that Ender Modems will handily repeat messages to systems even during thunderstorms (Where standard Wireless modems' effective range gets reduced to 16 blocks), and from that I can tell that it's one of two things - Either stormy weather doesn't affect Ender Modems at all, or it does reduce their range, but the reduced range is still large enough to cover a considerable area.
Edited on 19 January 2016 - 07:03 PM
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:15 PM
Beats me as to whether they do drop or not, but even if their signal falls off to something like, say, 10% (a far larger hit than regular modems take)… you'd still have over two hundred million block's worth of coverage.

Massive range is massive.

That said, I'm also curious.
Edited on 19 January 2016 - 10:15 PM
Lupus590 #3
Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:06 AM
Anyone going to decompile the mod to tell us then? Edit: I'll do it, always wanted to know what CC looked like on the inside anyway

Or do lots of testing.

Edit: this is where I realise that I don't understand java

Edit: I give up, I have no idea how to read java. If someone else wants to have a go then this may help: http://jd.benow.ca/
Edited on 20 January 2016 - 09:06 AM
HPWebcamAble #4
Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:46 AM
That said, I'm also curious.

Anyone going to decompile the mod to tell us then?

Challenge Accepted

Can confirm, Ender Modems (apparently called 'advanced modems' in the code) do not factor in height or weather when calculating transmit distance
I can post the relevant code if a mod approves not sure about the policy on decompiling the code and posting it
Lyqyd #5
Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:07 AM
Eh, we'll take your word for it. Thanks, though!
Chaz #6
Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:05 PM
Sounds good to me, thanks for clearing that up!