This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Vorg's profile picture

Quarry mode?

Started by Vorg, 27 January 2016 - 02:59 AM
Vorg #1
Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:59 AM
I've seen in a few threads mention of a "quarry mode" for mining turtles but a seach didn't come up with much. I'm using an old mining program from unobtanium. It's a simple program that mostly works fine, but i'm wondering if this is something that should be added.

Also, wondering about having it avoid breaking stuff it can collect like spawners.
Lyqyd #2
Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:30 PM
Moved to Ask a Pro.

Perhaps you were looking for the built-in excavate program?
Lupus590 #3
Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:24 PM
Does the built-in excavate respect spawners? Edit: quick check of the code says no

@OP, is modifying an existing program an option for you?
Edited on 27 January 2016 - 09:26 PM
Vorg #4
Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:49 PM
I dabbled a bit with coding but don't really know it enough to do much. I used this program and a few others some time ago and we just started playing again on a group server. Looking for what was current, i saw mention in some mining turtle threads about a quarry mode and it sounded like there was some new command/option for turtles. But checking the wiki found nothing. googling also only found the same ref to a quarry mode in different program threads as if it was something new to turtles, but nothing clear.

The only problem I see with the program I've been using for clear mining is that it distroys stuff it can't mine, like spawners which can be picked up with a diamond dolly.
valithor #5
Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:56 PM
It is more or less a concept, not a new feature. The main type of quarrying I see in turtles is something called a ore quarry (I believe this term became popular with this release of the popular program named ore quarry), where the turtle will go through and only mine what it has too (in search of valuable resources), instead of everything.

It is possible to have the turtle avoid things it cannot mine, but each individual item would have to be hard coded in. This is also assuming you are on a new enough version of ComputerCraft that actually supports the function that gets the block information from the block. Essentially all it would be for going around stuff is just checking to see if the name of the block is the name of one of the ones it cannot mine, and if it then just go around it.