This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Debugger's profile picture

Computer on Funky Frame: Simple Question

Started by Debugger, 04 February 2016 - 06:53 PM
Debugger #1
Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:53 PM
So I'm at work day dreaming about using an Advanced Computer to control the movement of a Funky Frame. Like a simple elevator for example. I've searched for problems, but they were two years old. So I'm wondering if those problems were resolved and a Computer moves with a frame seamlessly now or if it's still something I should be prepared to work around?

Thanks in advance!
Lupus590 #2
Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:25 PM
Something that specific, unless any of us have experience with it, you are going to do some tests and find out for yourself.

Please do report back as it seems quite interesting and can be useful for someone with a similar question in future
Dog #3
Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:34 PM
To the best of my knowledge CC computers reboot when moved, so if you had the computer on the moving frame it would reboot with every move. This may have changed in recent versions, but as of 1.6x I believe that limitation was still in effect (and I don't remember seeing anything in recent releases that hint at that having changed).

The one thing I'm not sure of is whether they simply reboot, or they act as if they are broken and placed again (the latter implying that unlabeled computers would essentially lose their programs after the first move).
Debugger #4
Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:20 PM
To the best of my knowledge CC computers reboot when moved, so if you had the computer on the moving frame it would reboot with every move. This may have changed in recent versions, but as of 1.6x I believe that limitation was still in effect (and I don't remember seeing anything in recent releases that hint at that having changed).

The one thing I'm not sure of is whether they simply reboot, or they act as if they are broken and placed again (the latter implying that unlabeled computers would essentially lose their programs after the first move).

Last I could find was that they would reboot. I'll test it and will post if it's different than that. Thanks for your help guys!
Lyqyd #5
Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:22 PM
Moved to Ask a Pro.
HPWebcamAble #6
Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:57 PM
I actually played around with some frame miners recently.

I just used wireless receivers on the machine itself, and hooked up bundled cable to a bunch of wireless transmitters on stationary ground.
That way, you don't have to run any cable on the machine itself.