This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
FoxData's profile picture

Need help making an OS

Started by FoxData, 13 February 2016 - 11:36 PM
FoxData #1
Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:36 AM
Hi everyone. I don't know any advanced cc coding (I can make something like an anti-virus) But not an OS. So is any one gonna help me make it? I will be programming it on single player and then i will upload it to pastebin and introduce it to the LurCraft server (Awesome server).

Any one want to help me make it?
KingofGamesYami #2
Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:50 AM
This tutorial will tell you the difficulty of creating an OS.

OSs are oftentimes multiple files, and hosted on github. A good OS provides many features and programs helpful to the user, and is not just CraftOS + buttons. An example of a good OS is OneOS.

Basically, I want to make sure you know what you're getting into. An OS is possibly the most advanced project you can take on, if you want it to be any good. Many programs in the OS section of the forums I do not consider to be OSs (although I understand why they are there, not another section of the forums).

I won't be helping you, as I'm currently occupied with this project, but you might see me answering questions on Ask A Pro (I do this a lot).
Bomb Bloke #3
Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:35 AM
This tutorial will tell you the difficulty of creating an OS.

Well, it gives some strong hints into how you'd build one that supports multitasking, anyway. If I was going to turn it into an OS guide I'd've likely made it a fair bit longer.

But most beginners (eg anyone who feels compelled to make a thread asking about such things) are probably best off sticking to a basic launcher without that particular feature.