This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Guido's profile picture

Request help with external editor and installling game wide API's

Started by Guido, 28 March 2016 - 10:20 AM
Guido #1
Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:20 PM
Background
I'm have lot's of experince with coding on Unix machines. I'm new to playing Manecraft with mods. Some weeks ago I wanted to teach my daughter coding and found computercraftedu. Turtles, coding and a remote. I started coding the turtle myself…

Next steps, the ones that went well
(1) Setup server with computers and turtles (thanks for the tutorials)
(2) Create API's, which seems not possible with the edu version (thanks for the tutorials got it working on CC)

Next steps, no succes
(3) Use an external editor for coding
(4) Install API's and program's on every new computer / turtle (rom)
(5) Have computers and turtles print message to the chat

(3) and (4): This is enless annoying me. I see tutorials everywhere how to place text files without extentions in some directories. Weird thing is that this directory structure is nog present in my client or server install. Creating the directories manually doesn't do anything too. I see different directies, most look alot alike:
I tried all, none seem to work.

Then, around 3:30am I got a small break thru, a post about a resource package as zip, just place it in "resourcepacks" directy AND IT WORKED on both client and server install!

On the clientside there were directories created (".minecraft\assets\computercraft\lua\rom") as present in the .zip file, on the server the directories were not created but also worked.

But adding a file to the same location did not do anything… :-(

>>> Could anyone help me on these steps (3 and 4)?
And while I'm asking, is there a way to have turtles chat? Handy for debugging to know what's going on with the turtle.

I use MC 1.8.9 for computercraft
I use MC 1.7.10 for computercraftedu
I'm running minecraft on Windows.
Edited on 28 March 2016 - 07:25 PM
Lupus590 #2
Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:13 PM
You want a resource pack, here is the default tutorial: http://www.computerc...resource-packs/

Here is a more in depth one: http://www.computerc..._%28Tutorial%29

I advise downloading the example resource pack from the first link and adapting it to your needs

As for external editor, I use notepad++ and open files with it's windows explorer right click integration.

you can edit the files directly in the resource pack if you use a folder over a zip file, CC will always use the latest file on disk (just remember to hit save in your editor)

As for printing to the chat: you will need an addon for that, most call them chat boxes
Edited on 28 March 2016 - 11:17 AM
Guido #3
Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:59 PM
Thanks you! I guess that is the missing link I couldn't find yesterday.
MKlegoman357 #4
Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:20 AM
You can find the files of a computer or turtle in the world save folder inside the 'computer' directory. Each computer gets it's own directory there based on it's id. You can type 'id' into the computer to get it's id. Also, you only have to add the resource pack to the server, the client doesn't need it for multiplayer, only for singleplayer.