This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ReBraLaCC's profile picture

2.5D paint images

Started by ReBraLaCC, 19 June 2016 - 02:24 PM
ReBraLaCC #1
Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:24 PM
I am making a game in which i need 2.5D images, [example]
So what i wanted to know is how i could create them easy.
And what is the 'trick' behind making them, because for what i've tried…. it failed xD
- ReBraLa
Edited by
H4X0RZ #2
Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:39 PM
You could take a look at this https://youtu.be/y-chi097uV4?t=7m34s

Unless that's not the kind of 2.5D you meant.
ReBraLaCC #3
Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

Sadly have to say that it's 2D, because 2.5D is from an angle
Another image

Maybe now you know more :)/>
It doesnt matter if it's not possible with maybe a program, ill just look something else up
Edited by
H4X0RZ #4
Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

Sadly have to say that it's 2D, because 2.5D is from an angle
Another image

Maybe now you know more :)/>
It doesnt matter if it's not possible with maybe a program, ill just look something else up

The one I linked is, in fact, based on a 3D engine. It utilizes that that get "depth" into the environment, although you only move in 2 dimensions.

The one you linked is "just" an isometric game. You can easily turn real 3D engines like Unity into an isometric "engine" AFAIK.
Edited on 19 June 2016 - 11:41 PM
ReBraLaCC #5
Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:15 PM
The one you linked is "just" an isometric game. You can easily turn real 3D engines like Unity into an isometric "engine" AFAIK.

Isometric is then the 'style' i'm looking for because… well i'll just link the game im creating iTunesPage

I will just made it 2D i guess and don't have a generated world or something, i'll need to figure this out ;3;

#LuaWhyBeSoHardSometimes
CrazedProgrammer #6
Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:21 PM
Isometric is then the 'style' i'm looking for because… well i'll just link the game im creating iTunesPage
I will just made it 2D i guess and don't have a generated world or something, i'll need to figure this out ;3;
#LuaWhyBeSoHardSometimes
That hashtag doesn't make any sense and I suggest another name because you can get in trouble with Apple :P/>
Good luck on your project!
Lignum #7
Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:14 PM
Whenever I need to do isometric rendering, I look at this post. Though I'm not sure how well isometric graphics would work in CC. I suggest you use the teletext characters for more detail.
Bomb Bloke #8
Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:57 AM
Isometric graphics are easy; simply draw a diamond, squash it (typically down to half as tall as it is wide, though the ratio is up to you), then use that as your template for all the other lines you draw.

You'll have trouble making them look decent on a regular CC display, though. A decent-sized external monitor could pull it off (meaning your game would need to be entirely mouse-driven), but otherwise you just won't have sufficient display resolution. You'll also need to account for whether you're using "full sized" characters per "pixel" (in which case you'll want to squash your diamond to a third of its width), or whether you're using the teletext drawing characters (in which case half is probably best).

Also don't try to draw them in CC's Paint. Use some external application and then port the graphics into CC later.
ReBraLaCC #9
Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:56 AM
Isometric graphics are easy; simply draw a diamond, squash it (typically down to half as tall as it is wide, though the ratio is up to you), then use that as your template for all the other lines you draw.
You'll have trouble making them look decent on a regular CC display, though. A decent-sized external monitor could pull it off (meaning your game would need to be entirely mouse-driven), but otherwise you just won't have sufficient display resolution. You'll also need to account for whether you're using "full sized" characters per "pixel" (in which case you'll want to squash your diamond to a third of its width), or whether you're using the teletext drawing characters (in which case half is probably best).
Also don't try to draw them in CC's Paint. Use some external application and then port the graphics into CC later.

Okay, well with what external program will i be able to do this exactly?

Whenever I need to do isometric rendering, I look at this post. Though I'm not sure how well isometric graphics would work in CC. I suggest you use the teletext characters for more detail.

I'll look into it when i get back from school
Bomb Bloke #10
Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:12 AM
Okay, well with what external program will i be able to do this exactly?

Whatever you're comfortable with. Something that'll let you easily draw lines, perform fill operations, drag selections, cut, copy, paste, etc.

I use MS Paint for most of my sprite editing.
ReBraLaCC #11
Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:47 AM
I use MS Paint for most of my sprite editing.

But converting the images to CC compatible files? I have a program for it, but it only it only works with monitors and work with bLittle API, I am going to use it… if you're okay with it… Should be possible then… only need to find out how the positions work exactly