This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
FoxData's profile picture

License system

Started by FoxData, 21 June 2016 - 05:55 PM
FoxData #1
Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:55 PM
Hi everyone. I want my FoxOS to have a licensing system, Each Product key will cost 25kst and will be random, Each copy of FoxOS will have a different random key,

Is this possible?

PS: Here are all the versions of FoxOS

FoxOS License (25KST)

FoxOS Minecrafter Edition (100KST)

FoxOS Small-Company Edition (200KST)

FoxOS Pro edition (400KST)

FoxEnterprise (4000KST)

FoxOS Server (1000KST)
H4X0RZ #2
Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:02 PM
Even if you manage to write such a licence system… it would be quiet easy to crack.
FoxData #3
Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:04 PM
Even if you manage to write such a licence system… it would be quiet easy to crack.

FoxOS Key Gen, If that happened i would just report the thread,
NanoBob #4
Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:12 PM
Since the computercraft forums don't allow for compiled code anyone who downloads it would be able to just remove the checks, or find out how they work.
H4X0RZ #5
Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:16 PM
Since the computercraft forums don't allow for compiled code anyone who downloads it would be able to just remove the checks, or find out how they work.

FoxData could still post in the Media or General section. There he/they could point to their website which is selling the program.
CrazedProgrammer #6
Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:25 PM
Holy *, you're not stopping with this.
You are the best troll I've seen on this forum, but you do deserve a (temporary) ban.
FoxData #7
Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:50 PM
You are the best troll I've seen on this forum, but you do deserve a (temporary) ban.

Its only krist, Its only worth some stuff on this forum (Like logos and programs) So if you can make krist out of logos then i should be able to make krist out of programs, Not exactly. I will have to think this through,
H4X0RZ #8
Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

It's his code so he can do whatever he wants to do with it. Although there will be free alternatives outnumbering his paid software. And even if someone wants his OS so badly it would be easy as hell to be cracked (and uploaded somewhere. *cough*backspace*cough* could be the "right" place. Nothing's judged there.*)

*Almost nothing
Anavrins #9
Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:34 PM
I don't think you realize that what you have in mind is not possible in the context of CC.
It's also very unlikely that somebody will use your OS or programs licensed with it…
Emma #10
Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:24 AM
First of all the only reason I'm providing a serious answer is for educational purposes, not saying that you should implement any of this because 1. It's super easy to bypass in CC, and 2. CC is supposed to be a free environment where people can collaborate and build upon each other, with that being said:

First thing on google is this:
SpoilerCaveat: you can't prevent users from pirating, but only make it easier for honest users to do the right thing.
Assuming you don't want to do a special build for each user, then:
  • Generate yourself a secret key for the product
  • Take the user's name
  • Concatentate the users name and the secret key and hash with (for example) SHA1
  • Unpack the SHA1 hash as an alphanumeric string. This is the individual user's "Product Key"
  • Within the program, do the same hash, and compare with the product key. If equal, OK.
But, I repeat: this won't prevent piracy
I have recently read that this approach is not cryptographically very sound. But this solution is already weak (as the software itself has to include the secret key somewhere), so I don't think this discovery invalidates the solution as far as it goes.
Just thought I really ought to mention this, though; if you're planning to derive something else from this, beware.

However, as it says, it is not cryptographically sound because it would contain the secret used to validate the key. The easy way to get past this is to communicate with an online server which contains all the information to create/verify keys, and this is the most safe, however, it is extremely annoying to need to be online to use a peice of software so if you do go with this approach (don't) then create some sort of file tailored to the specific machine that it was registered to, containing some information that could only belong to that computer (not easy to do in CC).

Bottom line, don't.
Bomb Bloke #11
Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:42 AM
The easy way to get past this is to communicate with an online server which contains all the information to create/verify keys,

The trick there is that if one script can get the key from the server, so can any other script.

FoxData, if you want to go ahead with this for the learning experience, fine. However, I'm afraid CC scripts aren't for sale; Minecraft's EULA forbids it.

You may still ask for Krist for keys so long as your scripts contain an easy mechanism for disabling the key requirement altogether.
Emma #12
Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:12 AM
The easy way to get past this is to communicate with an online server which contains all the information to create/verify keys,

The trick there is that if one script can get the key from the server, so can any other script.

FoxData, if you want to go ahead with this for the learning experience, fine. However, I'm afraid CC scripts aren't for sale; Minecraft's EULA forbids it.

You may still ask for Krist for keys so long as your scripts contain an easy mechanism for disabling the key requirement altogether.

I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood, what I meant is that you would send your potential key to the server, and it would verify it there and send a response back. But what you said is true for that scenario. :)/>
ReBraLaCC #13
Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:49 PM
I dont get KST and the whole idea behind it
ry00000 #14
Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:22 PM
Hi everyone. I want my FoxOS to have a licensing system, Each Product key will cost 25kst and will be random, Each copy of FoxOS will have a different random key,

Is this possible?

PS: Here are all the versions of FoxOS

FoxOS License (25KST)

FoxOS Minecrafter Edition (100KST)

FoxOS Small-Company Edition (200KST)

FoxOS Pro edition (400KST)

FoxEnterprise (4000KST)

FoxOS Server (1000KST)

Ey Fox. I could help ya with that. I made a similar program for my announcing program, ExStep.
Details in a PM.
Edited on 15 July 2016 - 12:23 PM