This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
houseofkraft's profile picture

How to run programs in the background?

Started by houseofkraft, 21 September 2016 - 10:15 AM
houseofkraft #1
Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:15 PM
Hi Guys!

I want to run a program in the background. If i use the bg command then it will run in the background but it will have a tab. I want to run a program in the background without that tab showing up. It would be very useful for different things. Like for my WIP Alarm System i can make it so on my CC PC it will notify me when an intruder enters.

Thanks!
H4X0RZ #2
Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:07 PM
The easiest way to handle this is to just accept the tabs. They won't kill you.

Otherwise you could run a TLCO (Top Level Coroutine Override) and add your alarm to the coroutine "stack", next to multishell and rednet.run.
Lupus590 #3
Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:33 PM
or you could have your program create a shell instance under it. like vncd does.
Sewbacca #4
Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:35 PM

Otherwise you could run a TLCO (Top Level Coroutine Override) and add your alarm to the coroutine "stack", next to multishell and rednet.run.

Note that TLCO won't work in Lua 5.2.
H4X0RZ #5
Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:49 PM

Why?
Sewbacca #6
Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

Why?

TLCO is based on setfenv and getfenv, functions that will be removed in Lua 5.2, so it will be impossible to hack that, except bios would provide a setting to enable running startup on top.
Edited on 21 September 2016 - 06:52 PM
Lyqyd #7
Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:58 PM
This simply isn't true. It is not helpful to spread misinformation.
Sewbacca #8
Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:26 PM
Sorry, i thought i edited my post after a few minutes, but it seems that it didn't worked:
EDIT:
See posts #4 - #6.

Also, i couldn't know, that it is possible without getfenv and setfenv. I just don't saw any other possibility.

Sewbacca
Edited on 21 September 2016 - 08:33 PM