This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
andythornton's profile picture

Considering new approach for ME storage displaying. Doable?

Started by andythornton, 05 April 2017 - 04:18 PM
andythornton #1
Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:18 PM
Hello all!

As some might have seen in the prior posts I made under a different thread, I've been working on getting the Thaumic Energistics Essentia stored in my ME Network to be displayed on a series of computer screens. I know this is possible using jars, but wanted to maintain storage in the ME network (for ease of use/etc - plus given the fact I've close to 1k in a lot of the essentia).

I was originally working on using the apparent method available (utilizing Infusion/Essentia Providers) with getAspects(); however, I've tried this with the most recent versions of the 1.7.10 mods and can't get this to work at all - the Providers just aren't recognizing the essentia stored in the network. Jars… the code works perfect. Providers? Nope. I've even tried downloading JUST the mods in use and loading a new world to test it in and get the same results. Either some mod is missing, somewhere, or the code got changed in updates along the way just enough to stop it (I did put in a Bug report on this too).

So I've thought about going at this a different route and wanted to see if its doable. I've been researching (at work now, so can't test immediately), and seen similar ways for primary inventory, but not sure if it'd work for essentia… lemme explain:

I want to put the advanced computer directly against (or via modems) the ME Drive holding all my Essentia storage components. Then use the getAllStacks, getInventoryName, etc to identify and display the "items" stored in those drives - the essentia. I've found similar codes referenced elsewhere doing this for such things as Cobblestone, etc; but haven't seen one specifically for essentia. Anyone know if this would work at all? I'm going to try testing it tonight to see if it'll pull anything at all off the drive, so crossing my fingers at this point. I've even tried putting an Open Proxy (and a computer) against an Essentia Terminal - no results on either of those either. Figure this will be my last ditch try to get it working before scrapping the idea completely as "busted". Heh.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:19 PM
A potential problem is that I'd expect all essentia to be of a single item type with different NBT tags. I suspect that the data you'd get out of a regular ME peripheral device won't be sufficient to differentiate between them, as it'll probably lack anything to do with those tags.
andythornton #3
Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:24 AM
Well, I actually ran into the same problem I was having before it seems; with the ME Drive against the computer, it was recognizing the individual storage drives within the ME Drive itself, but it wasn't pulling out any essentia from it… so I decided to go a completely different route and cheat - to a point. I ended up just connecting additional ME Controllers and running more cables (different colors) out to a bunch of jars. I hooked an Essentia Storage Bus to each jar, labeled each one individually, then used the code that IS working to scan the individual jars. So my screen display caps out at 64 essentia, but with the storage buses hooked up, the jars will be filled "first", then excess goes into the overall ME network storage.

Not able to see numbers in the hundreds, but heck, I'm happy with it as is. :)/>