This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
RefinedCode's profile picture

Is there a way to turn a turtle on without right clicking it?

Started by RefinedCode, 25 July 2012 - 05:21 AM
RefinedCode #1
Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:21 AM
Hi guys. I found out that redpower deployers can deploy turtles which is GREAT. My question is that is there any way other than right clicking to start the turtle up after I deploy it? I appreciate any help! Thanks for your time!
BigSHinyToys #2
Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:45 AM
yes have a computer or turtle near it and run this.

peripheral.call("right","turnOn")
replace the side with the right one
ProTip : have a disk drive on the othe side with a startup file

[EDIT]
these may also be useful

peripheral.call("right","turnOn")
peripheral.call("right","shutdown")
peripheral.call("right","reboot")
peripheral.call("right","getID")
[/EDIT]
KingMachine #3
Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:53 AM
Machines must not be self replicating! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
BigSHinyToys #4
Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:00 AM
Machines must not be self replicating! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/20-cookiebals-programs-cookiesystem-turtle-advanced-movement-skynet-networking-project-world-eater-and-a-lot-more/

This should freak you out then lol
Falk358 #5
Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:07 PM
Hello. Is there also a way to do this via rednet? That would be awesome for my pumpkinfarm.
RefinedCode #6
Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:22 PM
Ok peripheral API just got me very aroused. That is amazing! Thanks SO much guys!
BigSHinyToys #7
Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:25 PM
Hello. Is there also a way to do this via rednet? That would be awesome for my pumpkinfarm.
There is no way to start a shutdown turtle via rednet. the method described above only works if the device is right next to it.

It is possible to make a turtle with a startup file and have that program wait for rednet commands (little complex thought)

@RefinedCode
glad to have been of assistance
Falk358 #8
Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:51 PM
Thx its no problem since i discovered that all pcs and turtles automatically boot at server restart/ joining ssp world. This makes my program complete. Yay :)/>/>
KaoS #9
Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:14 AM
the awesome thing is you place a computer with a disk drive next to it and a modem on it, the disk's startup file is set to check the id and ignore the computer's id so it doesn't confuse it or you just place another disk drive on top with the computer's code (simpler), the computer waits for input and saves it to the floppy disk as the startup file so anything next to it uses that startup, at your starting place you put a deployer to place the turtles and another pc with a modem that waits to be told to start the turtle up

after all is finished you have a main computer, you give it a command and that command is loaded onto the disk, a turtle is place and the computer above it starts it up and it automatically does the specified command, it is epic yes?

I know the thought of self replicating turtles is terrifying, I want to start a new server and do that now lol, I want to make a 'hive-mind' pc that generates new turtles and remebers their ids, gets them to go and place satellites that transmit its redstone signal further and have turtles mining for resources then convert them with EE into the required materials to make more turtles and more satellites and spread further constantly, whenever a turtle pings and gets no response it goes back to its start position and gets the materials to build a satellite at the position where it did not get the signal until the entire 32 000 000 000 square world is dominated by machines!!! (and then they will use EE to make materials out of energy to keep producing and perhaps make factions etc etc etc and battle it out)… I have gone off at a tangent but wow…. that would be interesting
BigSHinyToys #10
Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:23 AM
the awesome thing is … – snip –
A computer turtle swarm would be a extremely cool thing. Complex as hell thought.
KaoS #11
Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:24 PM
It's not that bad, essentially you just need a computer, modem, turtle, automatic crafting table mkII and a transposer… beyond that a whole lot of programming that gets easier the more you have