This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
LDDestroier's profile picture

Forwards compatibility layer help

Started by LDDestroier, 06 November 2017 - 02:20 PM
LDDestroier #1
Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:20 PM
I want to make a way to run newer CC programs on older, more decrepit versions, but I'm running into problems that I don't understand. I've ported over all the functions I saw with introduction version numbers on the wiki, but it still gives me errors.

Link: https://pastebin.com/ZXCbDnTY

I'll edit later as to what errors they are. Not too much later, hopefully.
Lyqyd #2
Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:16 AM
This is enormous. We're gonna need a lot of extra information to start getting at the problem areas. Error messages are going to be crucial for us to be able to provide any meaningful assistance.
LDDestroier #3
Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:02 AM
Of course, I'll edit the OP with what I know once I get some time and energy. I understand that the current post is woefully inadequate, but I hoped someone might tell me about some big change in Computercraft that slipped my radar, like a change in lua version or something.
Bomb Bloke #4
Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:32 AM
The only thing that comes to mind which you couldn't code around would be the terminal, which picked up a new character set in 1.76, and will also gain a customisable palette in 1.80. 1.80 will also (finally!) add binary web handles, another thing you won't be able to copy back.

I may as well also mention that loading BBPack already adds some later functionality to the fs API if you're running an earlier CC build, such as fs.find() and the stuff SquidDev added here. Wilma also released VirtualOS recently, which sounds similar to what you're trying to do: I haven't tested it to see how much functionality it offers, though.
CLNinja #5
Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:13 PM
1.80 will also (finally!) add binary web handles, another thing you won't be able to copy back.

Something like this could totally be done with a program running on an outside server to do the dirty work though. My friend wrote a JSP backend to do UDP/TCP sockets without the need for another mod, which i wrote the lua API to do.