This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Ta©ti_Tac0Z's profile picture

licenses

Started by Ta©ti_Tac0Z, 14 July 2018 - 08:01 PM
Ta©ti_Tac0Z #1
Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:01 PM
If one whould make sure that hes work didn't get stolen or get reuploaded, how chould one do that? (with licenses right? but witch one and whats the easyest way to do so)
SquidDev #2
Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:09 PM
I'd recommend having a read of https://choosealicense.com/ (and https://tldrlegal.com/ if you fancy the additional detail) to get a summary of some common software licenses. By default, you have all rights for your code, so putting no license technically means nobody else is allowed to reproduce it.

That being said, I really wouldn't put a restrictive license on your code. People knocking off each other's work is pretty rare, and all it does it make collaboration harder. I personally put most of my stuff under MIT or BSD-3, though everyone has their own preferences.

Edit: Or just read lupus' fantastic thread. I always forget that exists!
Edited on 14 July 2018 - 08:11 PM
Lupus590 #3
Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:09 PM
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/26096-short-licensing-your-code/
Ta©ti_Tac0Z #4
Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:32 PM
thanks in witch case i see no reson to have a licens if this rule of not copying others code and projects is there by deficuldt
Jummit #5
Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:27 PM
thanks in witch case i see no reson to have a licens if this rule of not copying others code and projects is there by deficuldt
There is a very good reason to have a license, and that is that people can actually legally use your product. If there is no license no one legally has the rights to use it, but most people wont accuse you of using their programs if they post it here.
Ta©ti_Tac0Z #6
Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:49 AM
There is a very good reason to have a license, and that is that people can actually legally use your product. If there is no license no one legally has the rights to use it, but most people wont accuse you of using their programs if they post it here.

even with the Lupus590's detailed infomation i still have some qestions tho:

so permissons is what a user is allowed to use the product fore right? and only whats states here? is that currect?

'Commercial use' am not too sure what this means exacly?
'Disreibution' so this allowes poeple to disreibute the product isn't that a bad thing?
'Private use' allowes poeple to use it in private
'Modidication' allowes poeple to modifiy it but the hoverover of 'Private use' says "this software may be used and modifired in private" so only in private then?

conditions is what I need to do to use the licens right?

limitations

'Linability' this is on all of the lienses it sems… what does it mean exacly?
'Warranty' yeah opcurse there is no Warrenty on a cummonity license right?

am looking for a lincens witch allowes poeple to use it in private (and in public) but are not allowed to modify nor reupload it
is the MIT just what am looking for then?
Jummit #7
Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:35 PM
The MIT license allows you to modify and re-upload the product, so I think that is not what you are looking for?
Luca_S #8
Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:22 PM
-snip-
even with the Lupus590's detailed infomation i still have some qestions tho:

so permissons is what a user is allowed to use the product fore right? and only whats states here? is that currect?

'Commercial use' am not too sure what this means exacly?
'Disreibution' so this allowes poeple to disreibute the product isn't that a bad thing?
'Private use' allowes poeple to use it in private
'Modidication' allowes poeple to modifiy it but the hoverover of 'Private use' says "this software may be used and modifired in private" so only in private then?

conditions is what I need to do to use the licens right?

limitations

'Linability' this is on all of the lienses it sems… what does it mean exacly?
'Warranty' yeah opcurse there is no Warrenty on a cummonity license right?
-snap-

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, etc.

Permissions is what people are allowed to do with your code.
In case of the MIT License:
  • Commercial Use: People can sell your code/program or something they made with/from it. E.G. you make a Game Library and someone makes a game using that. They are allowed to sell the game. Without this people would be allowed to create a game with your engine, but they would need to release it for free.
  • Distribution: People are allowed redistribute your code and derivatives. E.g. Someone rehosts your code or modifies it to add a feature and provides that code as a download
  • Modification: People are allowed to modify your source
Conditions are the conditions under which the permissions are granted. In case of the MIT License this means that the Copyright notice and Licensed must always be included when redistributing your code or any derivative.

Limitations are the limitations which apply to using it. You can't be held Liable should your code do something unexpected(E.g. delete an important file)
Edited on 14 August 2018 - 01:23 PM
Lyqyd #9
Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:45 AM
The descriptions below the table in that site's appendix page give a good description of what the various properties of each license they list mean. If you want a license that does not allow redistribution (re-uploading it is redistribution), you will need to look at licenses somewhere else, or consult a copyright attorney and create your own licensing text. Be aware that whatever license you choose, the text itself will not actually stop anyone from doing things with it. You would have to pursue legal action against people violating the license terms in order to enforce them, assuming they don't simply comply when you ask nicely.
Ta©ti_Tac0Z #10
Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:55 PM
The MIT license allows you to modify and re-upload the product, so I think that is not what you are looking for?
redistribution (re-uploading it is redistribution)
well ok… thats not what am looking fore then…
you will need to look at licenses somewhere else
where whould one find such a license?

or consult a copyright attorney and create your own licensing text
who can effort that :P/>
SquidDev #11
Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:23 PM
Again, not a lawyer, but choose a license states:
When you make a creative work (which includes code), the work is under exclusive copyright by default. Unless you include a license that specifies otherwise, nobody else can use, copy, distribute, or modify your work without being at risk of take-downs, shake-downs, or litigation.

Basically, if you don't put your code under a license then you have exclusive permissions for it. I believe you can then grant people the right to use it but not copy it. I'd really encourage you to think twice about this though - communities like this are built on people sharing and code. By stopping people doing that, you don't really gain a lot, and discourage other people from helping out.