This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
SadProgrammer's profile picture

OS? Why do we call it OS?

Started by SadProgrammer, 04 September 2012 - 05:54 AM
SadProgrammer #1
Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:54 AM
So I've seen loads of people here writing their OSs… Now it is super great that they do what they do, but why call it OS? Isn't it more of a UI/GUI?

I'm not hating, just wanna see your motivation! :D/>/>
KaoS #2
Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:23 AM
OS stands for operating system, it is how you interface with the computer (like linux and windows, this is just a lot simpler because we cannot use the mouse or insert pics)
Luanub #3
Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:38 AM
What people are calling OS's are actually shell's. I don't know if anyone remember back in the IBM/MS-DOS days but there were two big shells. DOShell, and Windows. Windows later branched off and became the OS it is today, but originally was a shell. Like all the "OS's" for CC are shell's.

CraftOS is the OS, everything else everyone writes runs on top of it so they are truely not OS's. If someone did write a new OS for CC I'd like to see it but I don't think one exist.
Mendax #4
Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:46 AM
Yes, it is not truly an 'OS', it is the closest possible to an OS you can get on ComputerCraft though. and luanub, there is one that 'base-mods', called RedWorksOS, however, I think it is dead…
DisFunqTional #5
Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:02 PM
So I've seen loads of people here writing their OSs… Now it is super great that they do what they do, but why call it OS? Isn't it more of a UI/GUI?

I'm not hating, just wanna see your motivation! :D/>/>

You know i thought the same thing and then i just thought whatever helps them sleep at night…
BigSHinyToys #6
Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:18 PM
GUI is not possible in CC see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text-based_user_interface
I don't know if OS's are even possible for CC computers they would always be running under a shell . real OS normally provides a layer of abstraction between raw hardware interface and programs as well as ram management and a user shell. It would be possibly via a quite unclean hack I discovered be possible to crash the shell and run a program form the BIOS level this program could add a layer of abstraction between hardware and software so some extent like managing networks monitor disk drive . it could have its own text editor and allow multi tasking and run a shell of its own. witch is petty close to a proper OS .

just my 0.02
Luanub #7
Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:24 PM
Yes, it is not truly an 'OS', it is the closest possible to an OS you can get on ComputerCraft though. and luanub, there is one that 'base-mods', called RedWorksOS, however, I think it is dead…

Redworks = Shell, it adds some stuff, but still runs on CraftOS

Anything you install from a floppy in game is not an OS. To be an OS you would have to remove and replace the bios.lua and everything in the rom folder.
MysticT #8
Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:55 PM
Most of them are just shells that run on top of CraftOS.
But if CraftOS is an OS, MysticOS (my OS) also is, since it changes the bios (to add a boot loader) and CraftOS is never loaded.
But I haven't seen another one that does it.
filipkwro #9
Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:11 PM
But I haven't seen another one that does it.
I saw something called SecureOS, it also messes with the ROM.
kazagistar #10
Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:02 PM
Some people do more then just the shell. If you create threading, resource management libraries, security, users, etc, then you are basically providing the same stuff an OS kernel does. Add to that a nice shell, and the reasoning is solid enough.
ElvishJerricco #11
Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:11 AM
I'd have to disagree with most of what's being said here. To call the OS's found on this forum shells is to call CraftOS a shell because it's nothing but Lua as well. What isn't just a "shell" is the Lua runtime. If anything, I'd call that the OS if the Lua code is just a shell.
Noodle #12
Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:04 AM
Well.. Look at the "requirements" for it to be an actual OS.
If you were to edit all the "requirements" then you would have a metaphorical OS (since it runs through Java.. and its in a game).
kazagistar #13
Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:50 AM
We are referring to the the virtual world of minecraft though. There, you build your hardware out of rocks and redstone, and so whatever it comes with is "hardware". Any comprehensive layers for abstracting away hardware and such that is built directly on the hardware is an OS (with the exception of the BIOS).