This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ibab's profile picture

Question - One computer to access all computers

Started by ibab, 10 September 2012 - 03:06 PM
ibab #1
Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:06 PM
Hello.

I've been wondering if it's possible to actually have one computer that could be used to control many computers in the area.
Basically, what I am trying to do is that I have several computers around a room, each of them has few monitors next to them and I would like to be able to run for example "monitor back test" from one computer and get it to do the same on every other computer in the same room.

Here's the room.

Each of those monitors have a computer behind them. At the floor you see one computer, which I would like to make to be the main computer which controls all of the computers and tells them to display certain text on them.

I tried this with the rednet, but couldn't figure out how could this be accomplished and if this is even possible.
nolongerexistant #2
Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:12 PM
You could send a message to all computers with rednet, and when the computers receive a certain message they will execute a program
ibab #3
Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:20 PM
So basically I would have add the wireless modem into each computer, but what exactly would I have to do to get the each computer receive this same message that would execute the program?
If I understood correctly, in order for a computer to receive a message, it has to have rednet.receive? Is that right?
OmegaVest #4
Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:29 PM
Yes. Basically, you need to have the Jumbotrons have a while loop that always has a rednet.receive. Then, just rednet.broadcast and have each of the JT computers shell.run() your monitor program. However, each of them have to have the same programs. To send programs, you will need to serialize, send, unserialize the entire program into one string line then either loadFunction() or something likt that.
ibab #5
Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:45 PM
Yes. Basically, you need to have the Jumbotrons have a while loop that always has a rednet.receive. Then, just rednet.broadcast and have each of the JT computers shell.run() your monitor program. However, each of them have to have the same programs. To send programs, you will need to serialize, send, unserialize the entire program into one string line then either loadFunction() or something likt that.
Sounds complicated, but I'll try this.