This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
scarecrow569's profile picture

Proof that Glass Fibre Cables can carry more than 1800EU/t per packet.

Started by scarecrow569, 18 September 2012 - 02:00 PM
scarecrow569 #1
Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:00 PM
Basically as the title states, I devised a parallel transformer system that can handle more EU/t than previously thought. (Also against what the wiki states)

Why have so many people only thought that Glass Fibre Cable can only carry 512EU/t per Packet?

I understand that this does not directly relate to Lua however I figured that this would be the best place to ask this question than on some forum filled with minecrafters that like to make castles out of cobblestone… not that there is anything wrong with that… but a coder could surely provide a little more insight.

As far as I can tell I haven't seen anyone demonstrate more than 512EU/t Per Packet.

Here's the video demonstrating this: (also not noted in the video is that the 5 MFSU's will never reach 100% the reactor turns on and off as needed, and the mass fabricator can be turned off at any time, its only used to drain the MFSU's)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxIqDYF8srg&feature=youtu.be[/media]
Illmatar #2
Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:17 PM
I am not certain on my idea of what is happening but I think it has to do with the multiple MFSUs.
I believe it spreads the power evenly to each of them and when you have enough the EU per packet traveling goes below the threshold for the cable.
So with that the cable can only handle 512 per packet but it is sending multiple packets at once.
Cranium #3
Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:35 PM
This is not more than 512 eu per packet. The glass fibre cable can only handle 512. However, you can have an unlimited number of machines outputting that maximum output. Thus the illusion of sending more than 512 eu per packet. Way to fail with style.
Also, why are you posting in the Ask a Pro section? Unless you hace a question about Computercraft, or Lua, which I don't see, how is this topic relevant?
immibis #4
Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:32 AM
If you understood IC2 electricity at all you would not have written "EU/t per packet"

In IC2 electricity is only a buzz word
for small magical dwarfs carrying
nanobatteries. From every energy
source or storage there is one dwarf
released every tick. Size of a dwarf is
determined by amount of energy they
are carrying. Cables are in reality just a
tunnels where they run. If a cable or
machine don't provide enough space
for a dwarf it will get angry and blow
up.
However many dwarfs are happy to
run alongside each other and will in
cooperation carry any amount of
energy through a cable. Big dwarf will
still prefer to blow up, then to split,
but he can split into smaller dwarfs in
transformer. Every smaller dwarf
which is produced by transformer can
go to the same output tunnel.
These useful little creatures are also
sometimes nicknamed packets.
Xtansia #5
Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:45 AM
If you understood IC2 electricity at all you would not have written "EU/t per packet"

In IC2 electricity is only a buzz word
for small magical dwarfs carrying
nanobatteries. From every energy
source or storage there is one dwarf
released every tick. Size of a dwarf is
determined by amount of energy they
are carrying. Cables are in reality just a
tunnels where they run. If a cable or
machine don't provide enough space
for a dwarf it will get angry and blow
up.
However many dwarfs are happy to
run alongside each other and will in
cooperation carry any amount of
energy through a cable. Big dwarf will
still prefer to blow up, then to split,
but he can split into smaller dwarfs in
transformer. Every smaller dwarf
which is produced by transformer can
go to the same output tunnel.
These useful little creatures are also
sometimes nicknamed packets.

Lol,
Dwarf angry, Dwarf go boom!
FuzzyPurp #6
Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:28 AM
Moved to general section, Please follow forum rules and guidelines.
Cranium #7
Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:51 PM
Moved to general section, Please follow forum rules and guidelines.
Erm, not to rain on your parade, but it's still in Ask a Pro…
scarecrow569 #8
Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:50 PM
This is not more than 512 eu per packet. The glass fibre cable can only handle 512. However, you can have an unlimited number of machines outputting that maximum output. Thus the illusion of sending more than 512 eu per packet. Way to fail with style.
Also, why are you posting in the Ask a Pro section? Unless you hace a question about Computercraft, or Lua, which I don't see, how is this topic relevant?

I disagree, your talking as if i have 5-8 solar arrays that put out 512 each. However I have 3,000+ coming from 2 reactors… Also without the parallel transformer/MFSU system the Glass Fibre Cable sizzles instantly. So Its clearly carrying more than 512EU/p

@Tunnel Mooching Dwarf Minions. My system is reactor>glass>transformer>MFSU not reactor>transformer>glass>MFSU.
Pinkishu #9
Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:20 PM
Sounds like a bug or reactors may be outputting in more than one packet?
Usually the wire should sizzle if one reactor outputs more than 512 per packet into it

A possible idea could be that:

There is a requester of power (a power sink)
and there is somethat that has power and transfers it to that powersink

Now it might just split up the power among all the transformers and thus end up with less per packet?
Cranium #10
Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:39 PM
My system is reactor>glass>transformer>MFSU not reactor>transformer>glass>MFSU.
That is definitely a bug. Glass cable should not be able to transfer directly from the reactor to a transformer.
scarecrow569 #11
Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:43 PM
Pinkishu, I think that you are a lot closer to the money on whats happening here…

Some other information is that if my MFSU's become full (I have fail safes to prevent this),
I will loose 1 transformer (probably the one that sends first packet after the MFSU's become full) and the glass line back to the reactor.

This leads me to think that its not actually the Glass Cable that sizzles but everything leading back from the problem area (which in most
cases is only the glass cable), just a theory at this stage.