This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
zwap1233's profile picture

How can i unload the os api?

Started by zwap1233, 30 September 2012 - 08:13 AM
zwap1233 #1
Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:13 AM
How can i unload the os api?

Is there a way to unload the os api?
i'm awere of os.unLoad() but what must i put between the '()'
and after it can i also reload it?
MysticT #2
Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

os.unloadAPI("os")
Can't be reloaded after that.
What do you need that for anyway?
Cranium #3
Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:37 PM
….Probably a malicious program. There have been a lot of those floating aroud lately.
wilcomega #4
Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:03 PM
maybe for a virus?
Cranium #5
Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:30 PM
I hope not, because can't you do a lot of harm by unloading the os API?
I don't write malware(cloudy disagrees, but I see why mine was blocked) or OS's, so I don't see the practical application of unloading the os API…
ChaddJackson12 #6
Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:56 PM
I don't write malware(cloudy disagrees, but I see why mine was blocked) or OS's, so I don't see the practical application of unloading the os API…

Just a quick question. You can't harm your 'actual' computer with this can you? Also, if you can't, then what kind of virus could you POSSIBLY give to a computercraft computer? Because they really don't do much except for programs you write and getting a new computer or clearing the folder would probably fix it anyway.
MysticT #7
Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

Just a quick question. You can't harm your 'actual' computer with this can you? Also, if you can't, then what kind of virus could you POSSIBLY give to a computercraft computer? Because they really don't do much except for programs you write and getting a new computer or clearing the folder would probably fix it anyway.
Well, you have been already infected and I'm controlling your computer. :)/>/>
No, you can't harm your real computer. The only things that viruses can do is removing your files or don't let you use the computer, but that's easy to fix. On the other hand, you can cause lag on servers and make computers unusable (I know a way to do it, but no, I'm not tellig how).
ChaddJackson12 #8
Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

Well, you have been already infected and I'm controlling your computer. :)/>/>
No, you can't harm your real computer. The only things that viruses can do is removing your files or don't let you use the computer, but that's easy to fix. On the other hand, you can cause lag on servers and make computers unusable (I know a way to do it, but no, I'm not tellig how).
I could probably find a way :(/>/> But I wouldn't because I would know how that feels to have your server lagged and stuff like that…

The reason I wondered about computercraft programs harming your physical computer is because you could create .exe files and stuff that could download things from other websites to certain places in your computer, and yeah, I was wondering about that just for the heck of it because I think that it would be QUITE obvious if you were to look at a program on these forums that would do that…. :P/>/>
Cranium #9
Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:35 AM
I do know that this had occured to some extent on someone's OS, and it was removed for it, so yeah. If you create the right script, you could cause some harm to your computer. Although I don't know how, and I am not Gonna try either…because that means testing on servers i play on or my own PC… :)/>/>
MysticT #10
Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:38 AM
I do know that this had occured to some extent on someone's OS, and it was removed for it, so yeah. If you create the right script, you could cause some harm to your computer. Although I don't know how, and I am not Gonna try either…because that means testing on servers i play on or my own PC… :)/>/>
No it can't. As I said you can only affect servers causing lag, but the computers should be safe, since there's no way to run code outside the CC computer. The OS you're saying (for what I read) just downloaded a malicious file to the computer, but it can't execute it after that.
ChaddJackson12 #11
Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:11 AM
No it can't. As I said you can only affect servers causing lag, but the computers should be safe, since there's no way to run code outside the CC computer. The OS you're saying (for what I read) just downloaded a malicious file to the computer, but it can't execute it after that.

Ah yes. Ok I see what you mean now.