This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
remiX's profile picture

Can computers detect names?

Started by remiX, 13 October 2012 - 10:13 PM
remiX #1
Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:13 AM
Is it possible for computers to detect the name of the user controlling the computer, even if all the names from a server is stored into a table

I had another question, but it just slipped out of my damn head >_<
PixelToast #2
Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:14 AM
no you cant, but you can use CCSensors to find nearby players, but thats advanced
Lettuce #3
Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:46 AM
Most people make a log-in system for that purpose. You can't query who uses it without such a program. Tell us what your next problem is when you think about it.
remiX #4
Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:51 AM
no you cant, but you can use CCSensors to find nearby players, but thats advanced

Damn. They should make an api that detects the players names :)/>/>

Edit: Remembered what my second question was…

Whats the easiest way to make the edges of a computers screen to have a character (ie a '-') and the edges of the computer to have a '+'? And then the second row have text (such as a name of a village) and then the 3rd row to have more '-' and the 4th row and 3rd column would be where the cursor should appear after all of this.

I know I would have to use get the screen size and then use loops but I have no clue how to do this.
PixelToast #5
Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

Whats the easiest way to make the edges of a computers screen to have a character (ie a '-') and the edges of the computer to have a '+'? And then the second row have text (such as a name of a village) and then the 3rd row to have more '-' and the 4th row and 3rd column would be where the cursor should appear after all of this.

I know I would have to use get the screen size and then use loops but I have no clue how to do this.
you would have to extensively modify term functions and use the monitor peripheral
a little hard to explain in detail x_x
Lyqyd #6
Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

you would have to extensively modify term functions and use the monitor peripheral
a little hard to explain in detail x_x

Um, what? A monitor would be completely unnecessary, unless he happened to want it on a monitor. One way to do this is to create a redirect table containing all the necessary functions (like term.setCursorPos, etc.), which would only write to the area of the screen just inside the border. That way, you would only have to draw the border once, and everything else drawn to the screen would leave it alone.
remiX #7
Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:27 AM
I didnt infact say 'computer's screen'. I don't want it for a monitor :)/>/>.

How can I find the exact value of x and y for each part of the screen?