This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
dariusc93's profile picture

Computer Linkage

Started by dariusc93, 26 October 2012 - 11:39 PM
dariusc93 #1
Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:39 AM
Hello,

I want to first like to thank the developers of CC for making a wonderful mod for minecraft.

My question is I would like to have all but one computer to have the same startup script, which would require to read from the disk drive. Is that possible? If so, is it possible to have the computers separate form each other so people files, programs, etc., wont be link up to other computers?

Thank you
Lyqyd #2
Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:43 AM
How much have you actually played around with the mod? All of the computers have their own "hard drives", each separate from the others. When the computers start up, they attempt to boot off of attached disk drives first, then use the local startup file. I believe everything you're asking is already part of the mod.
ChunLing #3
Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:20 AM
I think that the question might be whether it is possible to have a default startup program and then override that in specific cases. There is an option for putting programs in the rom/autorun/ directory, though I've never used it.
dariusc93 #4
Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:18 AM
Hello,

I have played with computer craft but never got into depth of it. I played with lua, and other functions. I should now rephase the question. How can I make it to only book from the disk drive at startup? Do I atler the startup script?
ChunLing #5
Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:37 AM
No. Don't muck around with that right away. That controls a lot of stuff. Maybe start with a simple program in autorun that shuts the computer down if not fs.exists("disk/startup"). I don't know why you'd want to do something so crippling to all your computers, but at least you can just remove that file once you don't want it to do that anymore.
Lyqyd #6
Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:46 AM
Hello,

I have played with computer craft but never got into depth of it. I played with lua, and other functions. I should now rephase the question. How can I make it to only book from the disk drive at startup? Do I atler the startup script?

Well, I'm not sure why you'd want to, but you could create a startup file on that computer (not the startup file in ROM) containing only 'os.shutdown()'. That way, if a disk startup is present, it will boot off of the disk, and if not, the computer's startup will shut it down again.
ChunLing #7
Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:05 PM
I'm still not sure whether this is supposed to be affecting all computers or not.
dariusc93 #8
Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:04 AM
Well I am not talking about directly in the rom itself, but the computers. I am planing on setting up a multiplayer server using CC, BC, and IC. I wont go into full details, but yes I have used CC in some of my SP maps, mainly to control this and that (like in tekkit comtroling frame motors wirelessly). What I want to do is to have it where when the player first get on the computer that if it doesnt have a disk in (knowing that its a data/floppy disk and not music) that the computer will not allow access, and if the disk is in but dont have the valid data (I will deal with that part) that it will deny access and shutdown the computer, but I want this for all computers on the server except for maybe one or two, if thats possible.
ChunLing #9
Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:42 AM
If you want to affect all computers, then try putting a simple program in autorun that disables the computer if there isn't a certain file on the computer or a disk/startup. Then you can make a few computers that work without a disk, but any that don't have the special file shouldn't work without a disk present.