This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Jasonfran's profile picture

How to make an OS

Started by Jasonfran, 29 October 2012 - 01:44 PM
Jasonfran #1
Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:44 PM
To make an OS do you just edit the startup file? Or is there a way to make the computer run the OS on a disk as if it was craftOS. I haven't tried this yet as I'm not on the PC but if you run a program using shell.run when you terminate the program won't it just revert to craftOS again.

Basically my question is how to make an OS, what file do I edit and that. I see people with OSes with driver files and program files and it confuses me.
huettner94 #2
Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:09 PM
The easy way to create an OS is that you create a startupscript with these lines:

1. Program call of your OS
2. os.shutdown()
DarkSnake #3
Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:14 PM
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Computer-Operating-System
Mads #4
Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:45 PM
Making an OS is not about overwriting a startup file or something like that…
Jasonfran #5
Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:48 PM
How do I make it so it doesn't revert back to the craftOS when you terminate a programming. And I wanna know how you make an OS like the ones already on this forum. What file did they edit for their os
remiX #6
Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:27 PM
How do I make it so it doesn't revert back to the craftOS when you terminate a programming. And I wanna know how you make an OS like the ones already on this forum. What file did they edit for their os

You have to make your own, from scratch :P/>/>
Jasonfran #7
Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

You have to make your own, from scratch :P/>/>
Yeah… I know…. But how
Lyqyd #8
Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:35 AM
Start poking around in the rom and see how things work. There are a myriad ways to implement an OS.
lieudusty #9
Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:08 AM
You can pcall your OS and if it errors give a nice error screen and make it reboot
Luanub #10
Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:20 AM
It all depends on what you're trying to make.

If you trying to make what most people here refer to as OS, layer between craftOS and the user. Then you're really wanting to make a shell. And you can do as simple or complex as you want depeing on what your goal is(add a GUI, add functionality, simplify existing functionality). You will need the program(can be the startup file if you wish), and any custom API's needed to accomplish your goal.

If you're wanting to make a true OS, layer between the "hardware" and the user then its going to take a lot more work. You will need to replace everything in the rom folder as well as the underlying code to run it.
Jasonfran #11
Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:43 AM
Ah, thanks for explaining properly. How would I go about calling my OS and shutting down CraftOS. And make it so when you shut down a programming it goes back to my OS not CraftOS
Mads #12
Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:50 PM
Just delete the entire rom folder.

Now, write all of the code yourself(bios.lua is actually the only file needed, I think?)