This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
nicolasx's profile picture

An interesting idea.

Started by nicolasx, 06 November 2012 - 06:16 PM
nicolasx #1
Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:16 PM
Well, i'm very new here. Infact this is my first post. I've had some contact with lua scripting before, now I have a real reason to learn. Anyways I had an idea, and didn't see anything like it at the time.
So, whether or not you use tekkit, or regular computorcraft I was wondering if this could be done.
So here goes, what i've seen is a very very large amount of chat programs. They all suffer from one problem, a distinctive lack of range.

My idea is for a pulse morse code encryption decryption chat. It could have two or three regular redstone wires depending. Here's how I think it would work:
One redstone hooks into the back, one on one side one on the other. The sides are dots and dashes, the back would be to end the word. My idea would be that you could type anything into the computor it would convert it into morse code, and spaces would end the word. Then the pulses would be decrypted on the other side, without the need for relay computors. Direct computor to computor chat. Ofc if you are using tekkit, or just wireless redstone this could work over extrememly large distances.

Just wondering if you guys think this is possible. Also I guess this is my introduction, you guys seem pretty cool, so I think we shall get along pretty well. :P/>/>

EDIT: Just realized this could be done with bundled cable aswell. But that part would not work if you wanted it to work with wireless redstone.
Goof #2
Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:26 PM
I think you should learn some more basics, if this is the first program yet.
then the morsecode, would be realy hard to get to work correctly. But if you dont want wires, you can use modems:-)
Doyle3694 #3
Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:29 PM
yeah and modem range is configurable. I would better off do it like in real world, with servers along the way
nicolasx #4
Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:56 PM
Is modem range configureable if you have access to an SMP servers files?
Doyle3694 #5
Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:59 PM
yes:
mod_ComputeCraft.cfg

or just:
ComputerCraft.cfg

Depending on your cc version
JustInCase #6
Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:07 AM
good idea, But its just easier to expand modem range.
Sammich Lord #7
Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:23 AM
This has already been done before ComputerCraft had rednet. Also, just expand the modem range. I also do not see how redstone has better range then modems either.
simou2 #8
Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:28 PM
EDIT: Just realized this could be done with bundled cable aswell. But that part would not work if you wanted it to work with wireless redstone.

you can use bundled cable and wireless redstone u just have to mach up the color wire out of a bundle and hock it ot a wireless redstone and do the same on the other end
ChunLing #9
Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:28 AM
Yeah, a computer and modem is a lot cheaper in redstone use than redstone wire across the same range distance. And hardly all that expensive in other ways, they're mostly stone which is 8 cobble/coal.

There is also the issue of tick delays for redstone wire with repeaters, that will add up pretty quick over any significant distance.
BrolofTheViking #10
Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:20 AM
If you decide to go counter to what everybody is saying, and rather than increase modem range, you persist with using the redstone, there are a couple constraints with the system.
1: The redstone wire can easily get messed up by a number of things. Not very durable, especially if there is a risk of creepers and such. Obviously putting it far underground or aboveground could alleviate this risk.
2: If this is meant to be a very long range signal, further than you can reach with a high altitude modem, you run the risk of a chunk that the wire passes through not being loaded, which would not only interrupt the redstone wire signal, but the computer on the other end wouldn't be active anyway.
3: The information transfer would be very slow. If you have to extend the signal with redstone repeaters or torches, each pulse has to be spaced out, in order to avoid the torches burning out, and to avoid a pulse getting to a repeater while it is still on from the previous pulse. This could result in the transfer of each letter taking about an eighth to a quarter of a second, which is far from ideal transfer speed.

Despite these problems, I would encourage you to try and do it. I find it enjoyable to do difficult projects like these. After all, pretty much everything I use computercraft to do, I could get done faster by hand than it takes to write the program, then have the turtle/computer execute it.
Doyle3694 #11
Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:50 AM
eight to quarter of a second? 1 letter would take atleast a minute to transfer…..