This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
EntombedJester's profile picture

Re-Stacking Turtles

Started by EntombedJester, 17 November 2012 - 05:54 AM
EntombedJester #1
Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:54 AM
Hello, I've tried using a program from the turtle programs section of the forum [link]http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/5241-14-the-lazy-mans-way-to-clear-a-chunk/[/link] and neither me or the author are sure of a way to re-stack the turtles in order to be reused. I was wondering if anybody knows any way to make turtles stack again after they have been run through this code, its quite a waste if every time you use this program you have to remake a stack of 16 turtles to use it. Thats 48 diamonds thats not cheap or efficient.
EntombedJester #2
Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:54 AM
Hello, I've tried using a program from the turtle programs section of the forum http://www.computerc...-clear-a-chunk/ and neither me or the author are sure of a way to re-stack the turtles in order to be reused. I was wondering if anybody knows any way to make turtles stack again after they have been run through this code, its quite a waste if every time you use this program you have to remake a stack of 16 turtles to use it. Thats 48 diamonds thats not cheap or efficient.
kazagistar #3
Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:08 AM
Do any of the turtles get labeled?

Or perhaps it is just saving fuel level that is causing turtles to become "unique" and non-stackable. If this is the case, you could either make the turtles waste all their fuel, or perhaps a turtle.dumpFuel() or os.clearAll() command could be added to make the turtles non-unique and stackable again.

Or perhaps all placed computer blocks are non stackable now? This wasn't the case a few versions ago, but I don't have the ability to test it now.
EntombedJester #4
Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:42 AM
I don't think that turtle.dumpFuel() of os.clearAll() are valid turtle functions after looking through the turtle apis but you were correct about the turtles having separate individual fuel levels i ran them through the program then just manually moved and broke them until they were out of fuel then they stacked right back up. However i thought turtles were not supposed to keep fuel when broken unless labeled but when labeled don't stack with other turtles. Ill have to talk to the author about what is going on there but problem mostly solved.
Lyqyd #5
Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:46 AM
Just create a routine to waste fuel at the end of each turtle's individual operations. Repeated up and down movements should do.
Tiin57 #6
Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:33 AM
Just avoid restacking the turtles at all; it'll avoid other issues as well.
EntombedJester #7
Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:54 AM
the turtles aren't being restacked by programing they are being restacked manually after the process is finished.
GopherAtl #8
Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:18 AM
if you clear the computer's label before breaking it, it becomes stackable again. It also loses all it's files, but I assume that's not a problem as your program must be programming them in the first place.

at shell you can call "label clear", or in code just call os.setComputerLabel() with no parameters.
kazagistar #9
Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:34 AM
I don't think that turtle.dumpFuel() of os.clearAll() are valid turtle functions.

I misspoke, I know they are not functions, I was suggesting a solution that could be added to Computercraft by dan or cloudy if this turns out to be a real bug/misfeature.
Lyqyd #10
Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:55 PM
Threads merged, so previous posts may be interleaved in a confusing order.