This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
cheekycharlie101's profile picture

A guide on making an OS

Started by cheekycharlie101, 22 November 2012 - 06:02 AM
cheekycharlie101 #1
Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:02 AM
ok so i figure it would be cool to design my own OS for a server that i play on. but i need a few pointers as i have NEVER done this before. i know a few things like a decent os has a complete rewrite of the bios.lua file. but how can i make it choose between booting from my os and booting from craftos? i know i will have to make my own Api's and shit but can someone tell me where i put the files server side ete? all help would be greatfull. p.s if you wanna help me i run a tekkit server that we can code on. my os will be tekkit compatible only till tekkit has released a stable update for the new CC.
thanks guys
bjornir90 #2
Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:09 AM
ok so i figure it would be cool to design my own OS for a server that i play on. but i need a few pointers as i have NEVER done this before. i know a few things like a decent os has a complete rewrite of the bios.lua file. but how can i make it choose between booting from my os and booting from craftos? i know i will have to make my own Api's and shit but can someone tell me where i put the files server side ete? all help would be greatfull. p.s if you wanna help me i run a tekkit server that we can code on. my os will be tekkit compatible only till tekkit has released a stable update for the new CC.
thanks guys
You could use a bootloader wich use shell.run("your program") or ("craftos").
You put it in the world save i believe. Like in SSP.
cheekycharlie101 #3
Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:13 AM
thanks guys
it wont be a program. it will be a complete rewrite of the bios.lua in the core computercraft config folder. il have a look around the forums but i still need help
bjornir90 #4
Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:59 AM
thanks guys
it wont be a program. it will be a complete rewrite of the bios.lua in the core computercraft config folder. il have a look around the forums but i still need help
Oh ok. Sorry for my misunderstanding. I cannot help you since I never look into that… :/
Zudo #5
Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:06 AM
Go into the server mods folder/computercraft/lua and you can edit the filesystem for all computers there.
Server restart required