This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
petrus4's profile picture

Coping with Minecraft updates

Started by petrus4, 15 March 2012 - 04:53 AM
petrus4 #1
Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:53 AM
I wanted to ask people here, what their usual strategy is for coping with Minecraft updates, assuming that (as I have seen) most ComputerCraft users apparently run quite heavily modified versions of the game. Some Minecraft projects can take considerable amounts of time and effort to complete, and I am often unwilling to simply delete my saved games whenever a new patch (and associated round of mod versions) becomes available.

Is carefully recording and preservation of blockids the main strategy that most people use? Or do most of you simply accept that your existing maps will be lost, and plan accordingly? I am currently faced with upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2.3, and I have a map which, although I have not spent masses of time on necessarily, I am still somewhat reluctant to lose. What would people here suggest?
6677 #2
Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:53 AM
Open notepad. Make a list of your block id's from mod-loader. Manually transfer them over when your mods are updated. Tedious process if you have loads of mods but only method I use.
petrus4 #3
Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:18 AM
Open notepad. Make a list of your block id's from mod-loader. Manually transfer them over when your mods are updated. Tedious process if you have loads of mods but only method I use.

I will try this, thank you. When you say modloader…do you mean Modloader.txt? That is the only modloader file I can find. Apparently that is a log of the loading process. I can find sprite numbers, but the blockids don't seem to be there.
Hawk777 #4
Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:58 AM
Huh? I just update MC, apply the in-JAR mods, and then replace all the in-directory mods with their newer versions. When each mod starts up, it will load its old configuration file, keep the block IDs that were already there, and add the new ones at whatever values they should have. I literally didn't do anything about block IDs when going from 1.1 to 1.2.
PatriotBob #5
Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:14 AM
Tekkit. It's quick and simple and even backs up the directories on auto update. It's not bleeding edge cuurent for all the included mods… but if you want ic2, redpower, BC, and CC it wraps it up in a nice pretty bow.

And just works with out the fuss.

My main problem is keeping my custom BIOS and rom code sane across updates.. but mercurial is a wondedul thing. Use it, like it, love it, hate your self for not finding it sooner. :(/>/>
dark #6
Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:37 AM
most of the time your mods will keep their same IDs in the config files, but as a precaution backup all files and load a copy of a map. If something goes a miss you can correct the error without losing a map.

another note: I've had mods that you can't change their config or the config is missing a setting. there is a nice tool that can be found on the mcportcentrel forum that will allow you too edit a class file without actual decoding(http://www.mcportcentral.co.za/index.php?topic=1416.0). This way you can change any setting in a mod like block IDs, gui IDs, entity IDs, or even weapon and armor stats.
bbqroast #7
Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:05 AM
I've never had an issue with this. I use the main mods IC2 BC2 RP2 + CC and I just update normally, occaisonally I have to find slots for new IDs but I ahve never had any other issues.