This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
billbertking1's profile picture

Customizable depth for Turtles

Started by billbertking1, 05 December 2012 - 08:18 AM
billbertking1 #1
Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:18 AM
I'm making a house and a turtle is mining out the floor, and instead of going down to bedrock, I wanted it to go down 1 layer, but not 55 layers. Is there any way to make them go down only 1 layer?
Cranium #2
Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:23 AM
Write a program.
Lyqyd #3
Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:59 PM
Moved to Ask a Pro.
Bubba #4
Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:18 PM
The answer to your question: yes there is. The answer most people are going to give you: go look it up. It really is NOT that difficult to search for lua tutorials on Google, make a quick visit to the computercraft wiki to see the turtle api commands, and then write a program.
ChunLing #5
Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:53 PM
There are also quite a few programs posted in turtle programs that build simple (or even somewhat elaborate) houses (I made one myself, can build anything if you feed it right). Lot's of room diggers, like what you're asking for. You may not feel up to coding something like this yourself from scratch, but even if you can't find something that's ideal for your needs it shouldn't be to hard to get a simple program that's close, then modify it when you feel ready.
billbertking1 #6
Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:38 AM
Um.. I would write my own program but there's a huge problem with that… I suck at lua…
Cranium #7
Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:43 AM
That's ok. We all sucked at Lua at one point. Just look at some of the other programs, and a good look at the tutorials in the forums. It sounds cliche to some of the tenured coders here, but try starting out with a basic door lock, and work your way up to some more advanced programs. Try Casper's Interactive Computercraft tutorial as well. It's a really good way to learn the basics.
billbertking1 #8
Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:49 AM
That's ok. We all sucked at Lua at one point. Just look at some of the other programs, and a good look at the tutorials in the forums. It sounds cliche to some of the tenured coders here, but try starting out with a basic door lock, and work your way up to some more advanced programs. Try Casper's Interactive Computercraft tutorial as well. It's a really good way to learn the basics.
I do have a password door script from the wiki. I'm just:
A: too lazy to learn it.
or
B: don't have all that much time.
Bubba #9
Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:54 AM
or

Neither of those is a valid reason to have one of us write this program for you. You want to request that somebody write a program for you? Go do it somewhere else; this isn't the place. All the other pros and I are happy to help people who are struggling with lua errors/people who are having difficulty understanding concepts. We are not, however, here to help people with life management issues.

Cranium gave you excellent and clear advice on how to go about learning Lua. It is up to you to decide whether or not you want this program badly enough to follow that advice.

P.S. You clearly have enough time to play Minecraft and post on this forum - is that not sufficient time to go read a few Lua tutorials?
ChunLing #10
Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:06 AM
Look around in Turtle Programs, there's dozens of basic box diggers.
billbertking1 #11
Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:25 AM
or

Neither of those is a valid reason to have one of us write this program for you. You want to request that somebody write a program for you? Go do it somewhere else; this isn't the place. All the other pros and I are happy to help people who are struggling with lua errors/people who are having difficulty understanding concepts. We are not, however, here to help people with life management issues.

Cranium gave you excellent and clear advice on how to go about learning Lua. It is up to you to decide whether or not you want this program badly enough to follow that advice.

P.S. You clearly have enough time to play Minecraft and post on this forum - is that not sufficient time to go read a few Lua tutorials?

I've tried learning it, I just got confused. I'm not trying to get somebody to write it for me, it's just I suck at lua, allways have, more than likely allways will. All this is is just a suggestion. Nothing more, nothing less.
ChunLing #12
Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:21 PM
Here's a suggestion.

Look in Turtle Programs, there's bunches of programs that build some kind of house/bunker or carve out a rectangular room. If you really can't do lua, then something like clfn might work for you (it has a gox function that lets you create very simple turtle programs like [t20rtrt20ltl]10–digs out a 20x20x3 room).

clfn is intended to be useful "out of the box" rather than a good example of easy to learn code. There are other, simpler programs to study if you want to learn the basics. But if you don't want to learn basics then search Turtle Programs for ready made programs, do not ask Pros to make stuff just for you. If anyone cares to make something to share with everyone, they post it in Programs or Turtle Programs.