This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
NikoYote's profile picture

ComputerCraft Newb-Question

Started by NikoYote, 14 December 2012 - 11:04 AM
NikoYote #1
Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:04 PM
I've been poking around some of the programs and I'm wondering if its possible to just copy&paste into the CC program editor? If so, how?
Tiin57 #2
Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:06 PM
Use

pastebin get <pastebin code> <saveas>
in CraftOS. HTTP is so much better than copy/paste.
NikoYote #3
Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:11 PM
Use

pastebin get <pastebin code> <saveas>
in CraftOS. HTTP is so much better than copy/paste.

Alright. I'm not sure if http is enabled on the server Im on, and a couple of programs I want to try for my mining turtle arnt on pastebin.. so.. back to C&amp;P?
NikoYote #4
Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:17 PM
The problem I am having goes something like this: I select the code I want to use, alt-c to copy, come back to my turtle… now left-ctrl opens the save/exit menu… when I right-ctrl it pastes a single line. dO I have to C&amp;P a line at a time? or am I doing it wrong?
dissy #5
Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:08 PM
The problem I am having goes something like this: I select the code I want to use, alt-c to copy, come back to my turtle… now left-ctrl opens the save/exit menu… when I right-ctrl it pastes a single line. dO I have to C&amp;P a line at a time? or am I doing it wrong?

You can not paste into computer craft.

There are a couple options to get your program into the computer.
1) use http to download from pastebin or the like
2) copy it directly to the computers folder on the host.
In single player the ID folders are in the world folder in 'computer'.
On a server, you upload your code to pastebin or the like, and politely ask the server admin to copy it to a specific computer ID for you.
3) Get a program that can send keypress events to another window so it types it for you.
Search the forum for "Minecopy" or "cc-copy"
Dlcruz129 #6
Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:53 PM
You CAN paste into CC, but you can't copy.

The secret:
1. Press Ctrl to open the Save Exit Print menu

2. Press Ctrl-V to simultaneously close the menu, and paste the code.

3. ?

4. Profit.
Cranium #7
Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

The secret:

3. ?

4. Profit.
That's one line at a time, which the OP would like to avoid, if I read correctly.
Dlcruz129 #8
Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

The secret:

3. ?

4. Profit.
That's one line at a time, which the OP would like to avoid, if I read correctly.

It only pastes one at a time? Weird. Search the forums for CC-Copy, its a useful little program.
theoriginalbit #9
Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:38 AM
I've been poking around some of the programs and I'm wondering if its possible to just copy&amp;paste into the CC program editor? If so, how?

You must be running CC1.3 correct? As with CC1.4 I copy and paste into the terminal all the time.
billysback #10
Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:14 AM
No, it does not take in to account tabs or new lines (\n or \t) I don't really understand why, it should be pretty easy (split the clipboard by \n and add them line by line, replace all \t with " " or something) but maybe I'm making it too simple.
theoriginalbit #11
Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:28 AM
No, it does not take in to account tabs or new lines (\n or \t) I don't really understand why, it should be pretty easy (split the clipboard by \n and add them line by line, replace all \t with " " or something) but maybe I'm making it too simple.

Oh really? wow ok. could have sworn I did it once, maybe not.

It could just be the edit program not handling it correctly.
exploder #12
Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:26 AM
Well, I know a very easy and good way how to accomplish this, but it involves downloading and I don't know if I have permission to post download links here.
Sammich Lord #13
Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:01 AM
Just look for a program that reads a file and sends the key presses.
Doyle3694 #14
Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

The secret:

3. ?

4. Profit.

It only pastes one at a time? Weird. Search the forums for CC-Copy, its a useful little program.

Dlcruz dude! You have to read others comments. I have seen you more then twice saying pretty much the exact same thing as someone else did a few comments ago. You have to read dude!
Dlcruz129 #15
Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

The secret:

3. ?

4. Profit.

Dlcruz dude! You have to read others comments. I have seen you more then twice saying pretty much the exact same thing as someone else did a few comments ago. You have to read dude!

Please give me a link to the rules where it says not to give useful advice.
Doyle3694 #16
Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:05 AM
It is not useful if someone has already said it. Now back to the topic, if you have anything else to say, PM me it.
ChunLing #17
Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:06 AM
It can be useful, if the person asking has overlooked the advice before. But that judgment is usually dependent on an intervening post by that person.
dunkee #18
Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:05 AM
It is not useful if someone has already said it. Now back to the topic, if you have anything else to say, PM me it.
It can be useful, if the person asking has overlooked the advice before. But that judgment is usually dependent on an intervening post by that person.
I think that another (reliable) person saying it just tells people that it is right (in this case, it being useful or not to repeat) because more that one person thinks it is right(useful).
ChunLing #19
Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:42 PM
I think that I know what you're trying to say. But I would generally say (and in this case particularly), that if the person getting the advice gives no indication of having overlooked it, then it isn't really all that useful to have a second/third/nth person weigh in giving the identical advice. I'd guess that dissy's post was the last one that NikoYote even read.

That's not to say that nobody else can benefit…but somebody would have to post and indicate that they needed that advice reiterated before I'd consider it useful. Otherwise you end up with threads where most of the thread is irrelevant to the original post. Which can be fine as long as the thread is useful, but it's only really useful if there is some indication that the extra posts are needed.

Still, this advice (about whether advice needs to be reiterated) itself probably falls under the category of "not useful enough to be reiterated a lot". People will ignore it twice if they ignored it once.