This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Zambonie's profile picture

Q:How can I send codes over the rednet and make it work on ohter computers?

Started by Zambonie, 26 December 2012 - 08:00 AM
Zambonie #1
Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:00 AM
So,yes,you might know im making an Os,and I am asking a whole lot of q.I am making all the apps for it first,then ill make the base of it.The app(Well not really an app)im working on is an option for an,kinda an 3-d display.And for that I put 5 monitors on on side,7 on one,and another 5 on one.And my question is,When I start it up,i use the textutils.slowPrint("") to go across all of the screens.And when they slowlyprint,I want to send an signal to allow the other monitor to start slowprinting again.Does anyone know how to do that?
Cozzimoto #2
Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:24 AM
the thing with rednet is you can only send strings. its very strict that way and if your trying to send a table of arguments you need to use textutils.serialize to convert a table to a string to send to your target computer. and on the receiving end you need to take the message recieved and textutils.unserialize back into a table using a for loop so you can take that data sent and use it as you wish.

i use this method to send coords to my turtle that stores the input into a table and serializes it and sends it to be unserialized.
Zambonie #3
Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:28 AM
Ok,Well.Ehhh..
Cozzimoto #4
Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:30 AM
then main thing though you need to know is rednet is very picky of whatever your trying to send. strings only

and you can probably elaborate it some more by getting the current cursor pos and using that to slow print from one monitor to another.

my opinion, and i havent tried anything like this im just suggesting ideas
Zambonie #5
Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:44 PM
ok.
remiX #6
Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:49 PM
Do you want to send what you printed on the previous computer to another computer?

If so, store the text in a table and send the text with textutils.serialize()