This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Flyin_Spaghetti's profile picture

Rednet Range Gradient

Started by Flyin_Spaghetti, 26 December 2012 - 09:23 AM
Flyin_Spaghetti #1
Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:23 AM
So in the config file there are two variables for rednet range, one for low altitude and another for maximum altitude. how exactly the range changes between those altitudes and what level is considered as 'low'.
ChunLing #2
Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:22 PM
I believe it's a linear progression, or close enough. And bedrock (actually, layer 0).
Lyqyd #3
Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:59 PM
Low is approximately sea level. Between low and high (skybox), it is approximately a linear progression. Below "low", it is constant at whatever the low setting is. The range calculations expression is floating around somewhere on the forums.
ChunLing #4
Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:55 PM
Wow, so sea level is low? That…actually explains some things. Relays 4eva, then.
Cozzimoto #5
Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:22 AM
when i have a turtle report to a console i have it ping to a router all the way at map height that send it to my console so my turtles have a bigger range from my console of 384 blocks instead of 64
ChunLing #6
Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:25 PM
Yeah, my ground stations are rarely more than a couple dozen blocks above sea level. I did use relays a lot before, but I thought there was a bit more leeway before the range loss was drastic.