This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Flyin_Spaghetti's profile picture

To what extend I should trust my turtles

Started by Flyin_Spaghetti, 27 December 2012 - 11:45 PM
Flyin_Spaghetti #1
Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:45 AM
Basically what happens to a turtle or a computer in general when I go far enough that the chunk is no longer loaded. For instance I wrote a program that causes the turtle to travel to a chest in my base, leave the stuff it has and return to its initial location. Will it stop on its way I happen to be too far from the base?

Less importantly I have a turtle at the base which harvests everything in the farm every 60 minutes. I use os.sleep(60) to set the interval. If the chunk gets unloaded, will this time be reset or will it continue where it left of.
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #2
Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:50 AM
Apparently, turtles are destroyed if they venture into unloaded chunks, and AFAIK that hasn't been patched. Don't quote me on that though.
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:52 AM
When the chunk is unloaded and the computer/turtle is in it, it gets turned off. when the chunk loads again if the computer was on it will turn on again, but there is yet to be persistence, so the startup file will run from the start again meaning that the sleep(60) will start again and the turtle thats moving will be stuck in the middle. 1 solution would be to have the turtles save what they are doing to file and read that on startup. another solution is using chunk loaders around your base and common moving areas. the last thing, if you want a turtle to move around and explore you could use a chunk loading turtle from misc peripherals.
Cloudy #4
Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:33 AM
Apparently, turtles are destroyed if they venture into unloaded chunks, and AFAIK that hasn't been patched. Don't quote me on that though.

Patched ages ago, in 1.2.5 even.
Doyle3694 #5
Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:47 AM
though sleep(3600) is probably what you're looking for…
Heracles421 #6
Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:27 PM
though sleep(3600) is probably what you're looking for…

True, what you're doing is waiting 60 seconds, not 60 minutes, or maybe you just confused the word minutes with seconds? Because it's a little bit stupid to wait an hour to harvest your crops