This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
tomstud122's profile picture

Need help with factory information

Started by tomstud122, 06 January 2013 - 10:45 PM
tomstud122 #1
Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:45 PM
hello guys i own like 7 factories and i saw this guy having a monitor and all the factories on it with information and he could activate them or no so im wondiring if anyone know how do to that iff you are can u please tell me thanks and also this is what i mean
Doyle3694 #2
Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:51 AM
Look on the wiki for tutorials. Especially the wikipage about rednet API.
tomstud122 #3
Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:10 AM
but it doesnt say how to set it up
Doyle3694 #4
Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:38 AM
The thing with tutorials and wiki pages are that you read them through and kindof connect all you have learned into a nice program. Nobody here will write code for you. What you want is fairly simple so you'll probably be hooked up just by reading some wikipages and some tutorials
arg #5
Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:40 AM
Header says anyone can answer, so:

If you are looking for a turn key "install and go" solution, can't help you..

If you are looking to make your own, you have 3 components:

1) Grabbing the status information from your factory
2) Getting that information across your base to where you want your display
3) Displaying the information

For 1, really comes down to what you want to monitor. Do you want just a running/not running state.. and if so, what tells you the factory is running. Easiest is if there is a redstone signal that is high or low depending on whether the factory is what you consider running.

For 2, rednet or bundled cable come in handy. As someone said above, hit the tutorials for these. Rednet has the advantage of bandwidth (you can send much more info easily) but the drawback of needing another computer to send the data, bundled cable has simplicity going for it (just hook your "factory on" redstone into the cable and run it to your monitoring computer.

For 3, look at the monitor api on the wiki. You will probably just end up with an infinite loop that reads the information and writes it to the screen.