This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
MADCOW1721's profile picture

Copy & Paste Turtle Progams, Then Running Them

Started by MADCOW1721, 18 January 2013 - 12:50 PM
MADCOW1721 #1
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:50 PM
Yes i know im a major noob but ive been going at this for a while and i havent been able to figure out a solution.

I have a program that i copied off the internet and its saved as a notepad (txt) file on my desktop. i just want to know where to put it (what folder to paste it into) and then what to type in the game, on the turtle command prompt of course, to get it going. The title of the file is just pokeHole (yes hypno made it lol).

please someone heeeeelp meh
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:53 PM
type "id" into the turtle console to find out the id of the turtle then do the following

open Windows Explorer/Finder

SSP
navigate to "/minecraftDirectory/saves/worldName/computer/<turtleId>"

SMP
navigate to "/serverLocation/world/computer/<turtleId>"

paste the file in there

type "ls" on the turtle and you should see the file there
type the file name to run the program
MADCOW1721 #3
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:59 PM
okay well im doing single player, i followed the steps but there was no folder that said TurtleId
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:06 PM
type "id" into the turtle console to find out the id of the turtle then do the following
MADCOW1721 #5
Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:16 PM
yeah its #2 and its labelled "Rob". but when i go into the directory i click on my world, then computer, and then the computer folder i just clicked on only has 2 notepad files, one labelled "labels" and the other "lastid". so i dont know what to do from there because the "TurtleId" folder isnt there :/
theoriginalbit #6
Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:19 PM
your turtle's id is "2", so open the folder "2"
Skullblade #7
Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:07 AM
*smashes head against table**contemplates mentioning wrong section**no…its a noob…*
MADCOW1721 #8
Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:10 AM
figured it out. made to make a directory and folder first derp.. my bad. thanks for the help anyway.
ChunLing #9
Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hoping you didn't go an make a turtleID folder.

Here's a simple trick I sometimes use to make sure I put things in the right folder.

1. I go to the computer/turtle I want to program and I use edit to create a new file with a fairly unique name (like "program1d18y13"), and put some placeholder text in it (like "paste real code here").

2. Then I can just search the minecraft directory for that particular file name.

3. Open the file using my editor of choice, and alter the text using copy/paste or just by typing stuff in.

4. Save the file.

5. If I wish to rename the file, I make sure to open it again from the new name so my editor's history will still have it.