This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Xoid97's profile picture

Copy form a floppy ?

Started by Xoid97, 20 January 2013 - 03:10 PM
Xoid97 #1
Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:10 PM
Hi ! I'm quite noob with lua and this mod, but I have a simple question to ask I just can't figure out. I know floppies are specificly made to copy programs on them so you can use those on many computers. My problem is I can't copy or use a program from my floppy on a computer. I have the disk drive and "dir disk" confirms me the program is on the floppy. I tried "cp [my program name] pc/computer/rom/here", but none of these tries worked. Help !

P.S.
Sorry for the lack of English skills it's not my first language :3
And also sorry for not specifying the "Question" in the title. I didn't saw we needed to :(/>

thank you !
Edited on 20 January 2013 - 03:20 PM
raineth #2
Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:20 PM
Try "cp disk/[your_program] /" to copy your program to the top-level directory of the computer, or "cp disk/[your_program] ." to copy it to whatever directory you are currently in (think of "." as "here"). The top-level directory is the directory you will be in when the computer first boots.

I tried "cp [my program name] pc/computer/rom/here", but none of these tries worked. Help !

FYI, "rom" is an abbreviation for "read-only memory." It is not possible to create, change, or remove files that are in the rom directory.
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #3
Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:20 PM
Try

cp /disk/a /
It would appear you are trying to copy a file to the "pc" directory, which doesn't exist.
Xoid97 #4
Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:27 PM
My program name is "textup". I tried "cp /disk/textup", "cp disk/textup" and "cp/disk/textup/", but none worked :(/>
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:28 PM
"cp /textup /disk/textup"

oops sorry wrong way…

"cp disk/textup /"
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #6
Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:32 PM
My program name is "textup". I tried "cp /disk/textup", "cp disk/textup" and "cp/disk/textup/", but none worked :(/>
You need spaces in there.

cp /disk/textup /
There are two spaces in there. Look carefully (or did you mis-type it?).
If that doesn't work, post a screenshot of the error as well as of you running

dir /disk

PS: Saying "it doesn't work" really annoys us, because it tells us pretty much absolutely nothing about your problem. Posting as much information as you can (error message, etc) really helps.
Edited on 20 January 2013 - 03:34 PM
Xoid97 #7
Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:50 AM
Thank you very much guys the "cp /disk/textup /" worked !