This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
dexter9's profile picture

Killer Turtle

Started by dexter9, 27 January 2013 - 12:24 PM
dexter9 #1
Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:24 PM
I run a tekkit erver 3.1.2 and i would like a world where turtle roam and wipe out all living entities. My only options are mining turtle and just a turtle. I read about turtles just dropping tnt and igniting it and doing it that way or is there an other way? What code would i use in the turtle and how would i get the turtles to make new turtles which make new turtles?
LBPHacker #2
Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:08 PM
So…

You want a turtle army?
Challenge accepted.
tesla1889 #3
Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:55 AM
OP: if you want something big, you have to work hard for it.
we aren't here to write programs for you.
we'll just give suggestions if you get stuck along the way.
PhilHibbs #4
Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:37 AM
I run a tekkit erver 3.1.2 and i would like a world where turtle roam and wipe out all living entities. My only options are mining turtle and just a turtle. I read about turtles just dropping tnt and igniting it and doing it that way or is there an other way? What code would i use in the turtle and how would i get the turtles to make new turtles which make new turtles?
The first main challenge that occurs to me for self-replicating turtles is, the turtle needs to know what it has in its inventory and so needs to be primed with all the raw and crafted materials i.e. redstone, stone, cobblestone, sand, glass block, glass pane, coal, iron ore, iron bar, logs, planks, sticks and chest, crafting table, diamonds, diamond pick axe, computer and turtle. That's 18 items, and the turtle only has 16 slots. So you need an ecosystem of turtles that each craft computers, chests, turtles, crafting turtles, mining turtles, *and* they need to prime each crafting turtle with the right items for what they want to craft once they deploy said turtle, and all these turtles need to communicate and exchange items with each other. So you aren't making a self-replicating system, you're building an ecosystem that replicates small parts of itself. That's do-able.

*edit* I forgot furnace. Can a turtle load both fuel and ore into a furnace? Is it directional, i.e. fuel from below?

Also, can a brand new turtle be instructed to run a program by another turtle?
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:46 AM
*edit* I forgot furnace. Can a turtle load both fuel and ore into a furnace? Is it directional, i.e. fuel from below?

Yes, fuel needs to be put in from below.

Only with the aid of a startup disk
PhilHibbs #6
Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:40 AM
Only with the aid of a startup disk
So the crafty turtles need to craft a startup disk, I assume they can copy their own programs onto the disk? I've not used disks yet, I put all my programs in the rom. (I know, naughty)
theoriginalbit #7
Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:43 AM
So the crafty turtles need to craft a startup disk, I assume they can copy their own programs onto the disk? I've not used disks yet, I put all my programs in the rom. (I know, naughty)
Yeh you can have that. you would use the fs api to copy the files.
dexter9 #8
Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:34 AM
The turtles wouldnt need to build themselves.no that can be sorted using buildcraft factorys. All i need to know is, is it possible for a turtle or mining turtle to kill living entitys and how could i go about doing it?
LBPHacker #9
Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:26 AM
You're using CC 1.33, therefore there is no way you can interact with mobs (I think).